Monday, October 26, 2015

DIY Fruit Roll Ups


If you and your kiddos are anything like us, you've got a mean sweet tooth but as a mom, I cringe every time my son asks for a snack. Most of the snacks today are way overloaded with sugar, preservatives and oils and that's just not something I want to put into my child's little body if I can help it. One of our current favorites have been fruit roll ups, but again....way too much sugar for one little snack, so I thought, "why can't I just make these myself?!"...and I did! And you can too! Try these DIY Fruit Roll Ups with none of the preservatives, GMOs, artificial flavors or colors that could harm your little ones.
Ingredients:
4-1/2 Cups of fruit of choice
(We used Strawberries for our first batch but feel free to experiment and mix up some flavors. Don't be scared to add in some veggies! I'm all about sneaking nutrition into my babies!)
1/2 Cup of sugar
(you can substitute with raw honey)
2 Tablespoons of fresh squeeze lemon juice

Let's get started:
Put your fruit in a food processor, ninja, juicer, blender or machine of choice to get it to a nice juice consistence then mix in the other two ingredients and blend till smooth. If you happened to use frozen fruit make sure to allow it to fully defrost before baking them.

Preheat your oven (or dehydrator if you are lucky enough to have one) to 145 degrees

Line your baking sheets with parchment paper


Bonus! If you made this with frozen fruit, pour some in a fancy glass and you now have homemade sherbet to enjoy while the rest defrosts! Aren't you fancy?!
Pour the mixture onto your pans about 1/8" thick and place in the oven for four hours.
Test the fruit roll ups to see if they are done by lightly touching the top. If they are still gooey or soft and sticky, leave them in. Once they have reached the consistency of a fruit leather remove them by the parchment paper and allow to cool. Once cooled, cut into slits with a pizza cutter, roll and store in an airtight container!

Enjoy!

XOXO,
Becca

After you make these come back by and let me know how you and your littles like them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment